Well, it’s time to start up a zero-technical debt program on a new project. This time it will be C# and .Net so we’ll see if the same process can work in that environment. First we have to develop the technical debt policy.
- How much debt should the developer carry and when should they pay it back?
- What do we set the defect metrics to? In particular what about the complexity metrics? High complexity correlates to run-time defects.
- Who is responsible and accountable for the debt? The submitter, the lead, the project owner?
- How often do we notify? After each build?
- Should we track contributions, too? Should those metrics be just informational or motivational? What’s the culture?
- What is the role of the code reviewer? Will they review the tests? Do they coach?